Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 vs Core i7-2600K
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 advantages
Intel Core i7-2600K advantages
- This processor includes Hyper-Threading feature. This technology allows each CPU core to execute two threads simultaneously.
- Operating frequency of the microprocessor is higher than the frequency of the Core 2 Extreme QX9770.
- The Core i7-2600K supports SSE4.2 instructions.
- The Intel i7-2600K features Advanced Encryption Standard extension to the instruction set. These instructions provide hardware acceleration of AES encryption and decryption, and are valuable if you need to secure your disk or network data.
- The Intel i7-2600K has AVX instructions, that were introduced in modern processors not too far ago. These extensions are not extensively used in applications yet, however their support should improve in future programs.
- The clock multiplier on the processor is not locked. To get better performance from the CPU, it can be overclocked with ease.
- The microprocessor features integrated HD 3000 GPU. This GPU replaces low-end graphics card, and thus lowers the cost of the system.
- The Core i7-2600K CPU is 30% more energy efficient.
QX9770 vs i7-2600K specifications comparison
The graphs below demonstrate the difference between i7-2600K and Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 most important characteristics. These features, together with an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a processor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph displays the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph corresponds to the number of extra threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for additional frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 - Intel Core i7-2600K
Detailed side by side comparison of Core 2 Extreme QX9770 vs Core i7-2600K specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|Core 2 Extreme QX9770|| ||Core i7-2600K|
Handles more simultaneous threads,
Higher base frequency,
Supports SSE4.2 / AVX instructions,
Simple overclocking for better performance,
Integrates HD 3000 GPU,
Needs less power
Does not support as many threads,
Has lower base frequency,
Lacks some instructions,
No on-chip graphics,
Somewhat higher power,
The socket is obsolete
Similar CPUs use the same socket and architecture as Intel QX9770 and Core i7-2600K.
Where to buy
The processors are no longer manufactured. If you want to buy one of them, the best place to search are auction sites, like eBay. Third party vendors at Amazon may also have them for sale.
Please visit Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 and Intel Core i7-2600K pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770||Intel Core i7-2600K|
|Family||Core 2 Extreme||Core i7|
|CPU part number||EU80569XL088NL||CM8062300833908|
|Box part number||BX80569QX9770||BX80623I72600K|
|Introduction date||March 31, 2008||January 9, 2011|
|Core name||Yorkfield||Sandy Bridge|
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket 775||Socket 1155|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)|| ||3800 / 3700 / 3600 / 3500|
|Bus speed (MHz)||1600|| |
|L1 cache||128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||12288||1024|
|L3 cache (KB)|| ||8192|
|Max temperature (°C)||55.5||72.6|
|Max power dissipation (Watt)||174.42|| |
|Core voltage (V)||0.85 - 1.3625|| |
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||-||+|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||-||+|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||-||+|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||None||HD 3000|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||0||1|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770" or "Intel Core i7-2600K" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 with...
Compare Intel Core i7-2600K with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB