Intel Core i7-3770K vs Xeon X5450
Intel Core i7-3770K advantages
- One of the distinctive features of the processor is Hyper-Threading technology. The Hyper-Threading doubles the number of threads that the microprocessor can execute simultaneously.
- The Intel Core i7-3770K has higher operating frequency than the Xeon X5450.
- SSE4.2 instructions are enabled on this CPU.
- The processor incorporates AES extension to the instruction set, used to accelerate AES encryption and decryption. The instructions are useful if you need to protect your disk or network data.
- The microprocessor supports AVX and F16C instructions, that were introduced in the recent past. These extensions are not widely used by applications yet, however their support should improve in future apps.
- The clock multiplier on the Intel Core i7-3770K CPU is not locked. To get better performance from the microprocessor, it can be easily overclocked. Be warned that overclocking voids warranty of the processor.
- The CPU comes with integrated HD 4000 graphics unit. This graphics can be used for casual gaming and 3D applications.
- The microprocessor is 36% more energy efficient.
Intel Xeon X5450 advantages
i7-3770K vs X5450 specifications comparison
The charts below compare the most important characteristics of the Xeon X5450 and Core i7-3770K CPUs. These features, as well as an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a processor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph represents the number of extra threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for additional frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. While the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- Intel Core i7-3770K - Intel Xeon X5450
Detailed side by side comparison of i7-3770K vs Xeon X5450 specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|Core i7-3770K|| ||Xeon X5450|
Can execute more threads at once,
Features higher base frequency,
Supports SSE4.2 / AVX / F16C instructions,
Allows effortless overclocking,
Integrates HD 4000 GPU,
Needs less power
Handles fewer threads,
Base frequency is lower,
Does not support some instructions,
Lacks on-chip graphics,
Requires significantly more power,
The socket is obsolete
Similar microprocessors use the same socket and architecture as Core i7-3770K and Intel Xeon X5450, but their performance and other characteristics are a bit different.
Please visit Intel Core i7-3770K and Intel Xeon X5450 pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||Intel Core i7-3770K||Intel Xeon X5450|
|CPU part number||CM8063701211700|
|Box part number||BX80637I73770K|
|Introduction date||April 23, 2012||November 12, 2007|
|Current official price||$332 (as of Jan 2014)|| |
|Core name||Ivy Bridge||Harpertown|
|Platform name|| ||Bensley; Bensley-VS; Cranberry Lake; Stoakley|
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket 1155||Socket 771|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)||3900 / 3900 / 3800 / 3700|| |
|Bus speed (MHz)|| ||1333|
|L1 cache||128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||1024||12288|
|L3 cache (KB)||8192|| |
|Max temperature (°C)|| ||63 / 70|
|Max power dissipation (Watt)|| ||157.75|
|Core voltage (V)|| ||0.85 - 1.35|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||+||-|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||+||-|
|F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||+||-|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||HD 4000||None|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1||0|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "Intel Core i7-3770K" or "Intel Xeon X5450" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare Intel Core i7-3770K with...
Compare Intel Xeon X5450 with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB