Intel Core i7-3930K vs Xeon X5482
Intel Core i7-3930K advantages
- The Core i7-3930K incorporates more processing cores than the Xeon X5482. Large number of cores helps this microprocessor to process multiple threads or applications at once.
- One of the distinctive features of the Core i7-3930K processor is Hyper-Threading technology, which doubles the number of threads that the CPU can execute simultaneously.
- The processor includes SSE4.2 instructions.
- The i7-3930K microprocessor supports AES technology, used to accelerate AES encryption and decryption. The instructions are valuable if you run programs, that protect your disk or network data.
- The CPU features AVX instructions, that were introduced in the recent past. Although these extensions are not broadly used by applications yet, their support should improve in future apps.
- The processor has unlocked clock multiplier. The microprocessor can be effortlessly overclocked on most motherboards when higher performance is needed.
- The i7-3930K is 13% more energy efficient.
- Intel actively supports Socket 2011, used by the processor, and plans to release new processors for the socket in the future.
Intel Xeon X5482 advantages
i7-3930K vs X5482 specifications comparison
The graphs below show the difference between Intel Xeon X5482 and Core i7-3930K most important characteristics. These features, as well as an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a processor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph corresponds to the number of additional threads, offered by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for extra frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. While the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- Intel Core i7-3930K - Intel Xeon X5482
Detailed side by side comparison of Intel Core i7-3930K vs Xeon X5482 specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|Core i7-3930K|| ||Xeon X5482|
More cores improve multi-threading performance,
Handles more simultaneous threads,
Features SSE4.2 / AVX instructions,
Allows effortless overclocking,
Lower power consumption,
Doesn't have as many CPU cores,
Executes fewer threads,
Does not support some instructions,
The socket is obsolete
Similar microprocessors use the same socket and architecture as Core i7-3930K and Intel X5482, but their performance and other characteristics are a bit different.
Please visit Intel Core i7-3930K and Intel Xeon X5482 pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||Intel Core i7-3930K||Intel Xeon X5482|
|CPU part number||CM8061901100802||EU80574KL088N|
|Box part number||BX80619I73930K|| |
|Introduction date||November 14, 2011||November 12, 2007|
|Current official price||$583 (as of Jun 2013)|| |
|Core name||Sandy Bridge-E||Harpertown|
|Platform name|| ||Bensley; Bensley-VS; Cranberry Lake; Stoakley|
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket 2011||Socket 771|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)||3800|| |
|Bus speed (MHz)|| ||1600|
|L1 cache||192 KB (code) / 192 KB (data)||128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||1536||12288|
|L3 cache (KB)||12288|| |
|Max temperature (°C)||66.8||63|
|Max power dissipation (Watt)|| ||182.8|
|Core voltage (V)||0.6 - 1.35||0.85 - 1.35|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||+||-|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||+||-|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1||0|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "Intel Core i7-3930K" or "Intel Xeon X5482" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare Intel Core i7-3930K with...
Compare Intel Xeon X5482 with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB