AMD A10-5700 vs Intel Core i7-980
AMD A10-5700 advantages
- Operating frequency of this processor is higher than the frequency of the i7-980.
- The A10-5700 microprocessor has AVX, F16C, FMA3 and XOP instructions enabled. While these extensions are not widely used in applications yet, their support should improve in future programs.
- The processor has FMA4 instruction set extension enabled. Only AMD processors offer this technology, for that reason it probably will not get broad support from software vendors.
- Besides 4 CPU cores, the processor includes Radeon HD 7660D graphics unit. This GPU is not powerful enough to play latest games with all settings on, however it can be used for casual gaming and 3D apps.
- Power consumption of the AMD A10-5700 is lower.
- The Socket FM2, used by the A10-5700, is still actively supported by AMD. The company has plans to launch new products for the socket in the future.
Intel Core i7-980 advantages
- The Core i7-980 incorporates more processing cores than the A10-5700 processor. Large number of cores helps this microprocessor to handle multiple processes or heavily multi-threaded applications.
- The processor integrates Hyper-Threading feature, which allows each CPU core to run two threads at once.
A10-5700 vs i7-980 specifications comparison
The charts below compare the most important Core i7-980 and A10-5700 characteristics. These features, along with an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a processor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph corresponds to the number of extra threads, offered by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for additional frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- AMD A10-5700 - Intel Core i7-980
Detailed side by side comparison of A10-5700 vs Intel i7-980 specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|A10-5700|| ||Core i7-980|
Features AVX / F16C / FMA3 / XOP instructions,
Comes with Radeon HD 7660D graphics,
Needs less power,
More cores for better multi-threading performance,
Can execute many more threads at once
Has fewer CPU cores,
Cannot execute as many threads at once
Operates at lower frequency,
Lacks some instructions,
No integrated GPU,
Considerably higher power consumption,
The socket is obsolete
Similar microprocessors use the same socket and architecture as AMD A10-5700 and i7-980, but their performance and other characteristics are slightly different.
Please visit AMD A10-5700 and Intel Core i7-980 pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||AMD A10-5700||Intel Core i7-980|
|CPU part number||AD5700OKA44HJ||AT80613006756AA|
|Box part number||AD5700OKHJBOX||BX80613I7980|
|Introduction date||July 31, 2012||June 26, 2011|
|Current official price||$122 (as of Oct 2013)|| |
|Platform name||Virgo||2010 HEDT|
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket FM2||Socket 1366|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)||4000||3600|
|Bus speed (MHz)|| ||2400 (HT/QPI)|
|Clock Multiplier|| ||25|
|L1 cache||128 KB (code) / 64 KB (data)||192 KB (code) / 192 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||4096||1536|
|L3 cache (KB)|| ||12288|
|Max temperature (°C)||71.3||68.8|
|Core voltage (V)||0.825 - 1.475||0.8 - 1.3|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||+|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||+||-|
|BMI1 / Bit Manipulation||+||-|
|F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion||+||-|
|FMA3 / 3-operand Fused Multiply-Add||+||-|
|FMA4 / 4-operand Fused Multiply-Add||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+|
|XOP / eXtended Operations||+||-|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||+|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||Radeon HD 7660D||None|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "AMD A10-5700" or "Intel Core i7-980" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare AMD A10-5700 with...
Compare Intel Core i7-980 with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB