AMD FX-4130 advantages
- The FX-4130 incorporates more CPU cores than the Intel Core i3-2100 microprocessor. Large number of cores helps this CPU to process many simultaneous applications or threads.
- Operating frequency of the FX-4130 is higher than the frequency of the Intel Core i3-2100.
- The processor has Advanced Encryption Standard extension to the instruction set enabled. This technology provides hardware acceleration of AES encryption and decryption, and is beneficial if you need to protect your disk or network data.
- The microprocessor includes XOP instructions. While these extensions are not broadly used by programs yet, their support should improve in future apps.
- The FX-4130 has FMA4 instruction set extension enabled. Only AMD CPUs offer this technology, thus not many software vendors may support it in the future.
- The AMD FX-4130 is not "locked". To get better performance from the processor, it can be easily overclocked. Be warned that overclocking voids warranty of the CPU.
Intel Core i3-2100 advantages
- Besides 2 CPU cores, the microprocessor embeds HD 2000 GPU. While this graphics is not powerful enough to play latest games at full resolution, it can be used for casual gaming and 3D applications.
- The Intel Core i3-2100 is 48% more energy efficient than the AMD FX-4130 processor.
FX-4130 vs i3-2100 specifications comparison
The charts below compare the most important characteristics of the i3-2100 and FX-4130 processors. These features, together with an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a processor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph displays the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph corresponds to the number of extra threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for additional frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- AMD FX-4130 - Intel Core i3-2100
Detailed side by side comparison of FX-4130 vs Intel i3-2100 specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|FX-4130|| ||Core i3-2100|
More cores improve multi-threading performance,
Features higher base frequency,
Supports XOP instructions,
Can be effortlessly overclocked
Integrates HD 2000 GPU,
Somewhat lower power
No integrated graphics,
Requires significantly more power
Not as many CPU cores,
Base frequency is lower,
Does not support some instructions
Similar microprocessors use the same socket and architecture as FX-4130 and i3-2100, however their performance and other characteristics are a bit different.
Please visit AMD FX-4130 and Intel Core i3-2100 pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||AMD FX-4130||Intel Core i3-2100|
|CPU part number||FD4130FRW4MGU||CM8062301061600|
|Box part number||FD4130FRGUBOX||BX80623I32100|
|Introduction date||August 27, 2012||February 20, 2011|
|Current official price||$101 (as of Oct 2013)|| |
|Core name||Zambezi||Sandy Bridge|
|Platform name||Scorpius|| |
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket AM3+||Socket 1155|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)||3900|| |
|Clock Multiplier|| ||31|
|L1 cache||128 KB (code) / 64 KB (data)||64 KB (code) / 64 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||4096||512|
|L3 cache (KB)||4096||3072|
|Max temperature (°C)|| ||69.1|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||+||-|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||+|
|FMA4 / 4-operand Fused Multiply-Add||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+|
|XOP / eXtended Operations||+||-|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||+||-|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||None||HD 2000|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1|
|Supported memory||DDR3-1866||DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "AMD FX-4130" or "Intel Core i3-2100" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare AMD FX-4130 with...
Compare Intel Core i3-2100 with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB