Intel Core i5-3317U vs Pentium M 1.7 GHz
Intel Core i5-3317U advantages
- The Intel Core i5-3317U has more processing cores than the Pentium M 1.7 GHz CPU. Large number of cores helps this processor to tackle multiple processes or heavily multi-threaded programs.
- The CPU includes Hyper-Threading technology, which allows this processor to run twice as many threads.
- The Core i5-3317U supports Execute disable bit feature, also called as NX or XD bit, that can protect from some types of computer viruses.
- The Intel Core i5-3317U microprocessor incorporates Intel 64 technology, that allows it to run 64-bit operating systems.
- The CPU provides hardware acceleration of virtualized applications.
- The Core i5-3317U features SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 instructions.
- The Core i5-3317U microprocessor has Advanced Encryption Standard extension to the instruction set enabled. These instructions provide hardware acceleration of AES encryption and decryption, and are valuable if you run programs, that secure your disk or network data.
- The Intel Core i5-3317U processor includes AVX and F16C instructions, introduced in the recent past. These extensions are not broadly supported by applications yet, however their support should improve in future apps.
- The microprocessor features on-chip HD 4000 graphics. This GPU is not fast enough to play latest games at full resolution, but it can be used for casual gaming and 3D applications.
- The Intel Core i5-3317U is 31% more energy efficient.
Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz advantages
- The CPU works in Socket mPGA478C, and can be effortlessly removed from it. This allows simple processor upgrade or downgrade when desired.
Core i5-3317U vs Pentium M 1.7 GHz specifications comparison
The graphs below compare the most important characteristics of the Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz and Intel Core i5-3317U microprocessors. These features, as well as an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a processor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph displays the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph represents the number of additional threads, offered by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, while lighter area is for extra frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- Intel Core i5-3317U - Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz
Detailed side by side comparison of Intel Core i5-3317U vs Intel specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|Core i5-3317U|| ||Pentium M 1.7 GHz|
More cores improve multi-threading performance,
Executes more simultaneous threads,
Offers partial virus protection,
Supports 64-bit OS,
Features SSE3 / SSE4.1 / SSE4.2 / AVX / F16C instructions,
Integrates HD 4000 graphics,
Somewhat lower power consumption
The microprocessor is upgreadable
Not upgreadable or replaceable
Smaller number of CPU cores,
Handles fewer threads,
Does not support some instructions,
Does not have integrated GPU,
Somewhat higher power
Please visit Intel Core i5-3317U and Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||Intel Core i5-3317U||Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz|
|Family||Core i5 Mobile||Pentium M|
|Model number||i5-3317U|| |
|CPU part number||AV8063801058002||RH80535GC0291M|
|Box part number|| ||BXM80535GC1700E|
|Introduction date||June 3, 2012||June 2, 2003|
|Core name||Ivy Bridge||Banias|
|Data width (bits)||64||32|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)||2600 / 2400|| |
|Bus speed (MHz)|| ||400|
|L1 cache||64 KB (code) / 64 KB (data)||32 KB (code) / 32 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||512||1024|
|L3 cache (KB)||3072|| |
|Max temperature (°C)||105||100|
|Max power dissipation (Watt)|| ||31.16|
|Core voltage (V)|| ||1.484|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||+||-|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+||-|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||+||-|
|F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+||-|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||+||-|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+||-|
|GPU Type||HD 4000||None|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1||0|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "Intel Core i5-3317U" or "Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare Intel Core i5-3317U with...
Compare Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB