Intel Atom S1260 advantages
- More CPU cores on the Intel Atom S1260 help to tackle multiple programs or heavily multi-threaded tasks.
- This microprocessor integrates Hyper-Threading feature. This technology doubles the number of threads that the processor can run at once.
- Operating frequency of the CPU is higher than the frequency of the Pentium III 500 MHz.
- Execute disable bit feature on this processor helps to protect from certain types of computer viruses. This technology does not work on old OSes, such as Windows 2000, MAC OS 9, and earlier ones.
- The Atom S1260 has Intel 64 feature, that allows it to run 64-bit operating systems.
- The Intel Atom S1260 microprocessor provides hardware acceleration of virtualized programs.
- SSE2 instructions, supported by this cpu, are used by many modern applications.
- The Atom S1260 processor supports SSE3 and SSSE3 instructions.
Intel Pentium III 500 MHz advantages
- The CPU works in Slot 1. The processor can be effortlessly removed from the socket for replacement or upgrade.
Atom S1260 vs Pentium III 500 MHz specifications comparison
The charts below compare the most important characteristics of the Intel Pentium III 500 MHz and Atom S1260 microprocessors. These features, along with an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a microprocessor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph represents the number of extra threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
- Intel Atom S1260 - Intel Pentium III 500 MHz
Detailed side by side comparison of Intel Atom S1260 vs Intel specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|Atom S1260|| ||Pentium III 500 MHz|
More cores improve multi-threading performance,
Executes many more threads at once,
Features higher base frequency,
Offers partial virus protection,
64-bit operating system support,
Supports SSE2 / SSE3 instructions
The microprocessor is upgreadable
Not upgreadable or replaceable
Not as many CPU cores,
Handles fewer threads,
Base frequency is lower,
Lacks some instructions
Please visit Intel Atom S1260 and Intel Pentium III 500 MHz pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||Intel Atom S1260||Intel Pentium III 500 MHz|
|Model number||S1260|| |
|CPU part number||DH80S1260||80525PY500512|
|Box part number|| ||BX80525U500512|
|Introduction date||December 11, 2012||February 26, 1999|
|Current official price||$64 (as of Jun 2013)|| |
|Platform name||Bordenville|| |
|Data width (bits)||64||32|
|Bus speed (MHz)|| ||100|
|Clock Multiplier|| ||5|
|L1 cache||64 KB (code) / 48 KB (data)||16 KB (code) / 16 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||1024||512|
|Max temperature (°C)||95||90|
|TDP (Watt)||8.5|| |
|Max power dissipation (Watt)|| ||37.52|
|Core voltage (V)||1.05||2|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+||-|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+||-|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+||-|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1||0|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "Intel Atom S1260" or "Intel Pentium III 500 MHz" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare Intel Atom S1260 with...
Compare Intel Pentium III 500 MHz with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB
Please post all comments on the Intel Atom S1260 or Intel Pentium III 500 MHz pages