AMD A8-3850 vs Intel Core i7-3940XM
AMD A8-3850 advantages
- 3DNow! technology is supported by this processor. The 3DNow! technology allows the CPU to execute certain floating-point operations faster, and thus boost performance in games, that support the instructions. These instruction are obsolete now, and only some old games and software used them.
Intel Core i7-3940XM advantages
- The processor integrates Hyper-Threading feature, which allows each CPU core to run two threads simultaneously.
- The Intel Core i7-3940XM comes with higher operating frequency than the AMD A8-3850 processor.
- The Core i7-3940XM features SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 instructions.
- The microprocessor supports AES, or Advanced Encryption Standard, extension to the instruction set. These instructions accelerate AES encryption and decryption, and are beneficial if you need to protect your disk or network data.
- The processor includes AVX and F16C instructions. Even though these extensions are not extensively used in programs yet, their support should improve in future apps.
- The microprocessor is unlocked. Thus, the processor can be freely overclocked on some motherboards to get better performance.
- The microprocessor is 45% more energy efficient.
A8-3850 vs i7-3940XM specifications comparison
The graphs below show the difference between Intel i7-3940XM and AMD A8-3850 most important characteristics. These features, as well as an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a CPU performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph represents the number of extra threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for additional frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. While the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- AMD A8-3850 - Intel Core i7-3940XM
Detailed side by side comparison of A8-3850 vs Intel i7-3940XM specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|A8-3850|| ||Core i7-3940XM|
Handles more simultaneous threads,
Base frequency is higher,
Features SSE4.1 / SSE4.2 / AVX / F16C instructions,
Can be easily overclocked,
Lower power consumption
Executes fewer threads,
Has lower base frequency,
Does not support some instructions,
Requires considerably more power,
No products planned for the socket
Similar microprocessors use the same socket and architecture as AMD A8-3850 and i7-3940XM.
Please visit AMD A8-3850 and Intel Core i7-3940XM pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||AMD A8-3850||Intel Core i7-3940XM|
|Family||A8-Series||Core i7 Mobile Extreme Edition|
|CPU part number||AD3850WNZ43GX||AW8063801103501|
|Box part number||AD3850WNGXBOX|| |
|Introduction date||July 3, 2011||September 30, 2012|
|Current official price||$87 (as of Oct 2013)|| |
|Core name||Llano||Ivy Bridge|
|Platform name||Lynx|| |
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket FM1||Socket G2|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)|| ||3900 / 3800 / 3700 / 3700|
|Clock Multiplier|| ||30|
|L1 cache||256 KB (code) / 256 KB (data)||128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||4096||1024|
|L3 cache (KB)|| ||8192|
|Max temperature (°C)||72.7||105|
|Core voltage (V)||0.45 - 1.4125|| |
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||-||+|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||-||+|
|F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion||-||+|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||-||+|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||-||+|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||Radeon HD 6550D||HD 4000|
|Base frequency (MHz)||600||650|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1|
|Supported memory||DDR3-1866||DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "AMD A8-3850" or "Intel Core i7-3940XM" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare AMD A8-3850 with...
Compare Intel Core i7-3940XM with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB
Please post all comments on the AMD A8-3850 or Intel Core i7-3940XM pages