AMD A8-3850 vs Intel Core i7-3940XM
AMD A8-3850 advantages
- 3DNow! technology is supported by this processor. The 3DNow! technology allows the CPU to execute certain floating-point operations faster, and thus boost performance in games, that support the instructions. These instruction are obsolete now, and only some old games and software used them.
- Based on current official prices, the A8-3850 is 92% cheaper.
Intel Core i7-3940XM advantages
- One of the distinctive features of the processor is Hyper-Threading technology, which allows this microprocessor to process twice as many threads.
- Operating frequency of the Intel Core i7-3940XM is higher than the frequency of the A8-3850 processor.
- The i7-3940XM CPU has SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 instructions.
- The Core i7-3940XM includes AES technology, that accelerates AES encryption. The technology is beneficial if you need to protect your disk or network data.
- The microprocessor incorporates AVX and F16C instructions, introduced in the recent past. Even though these extensions are not broadly used by applications yet, their support should improve in future programs.
- The Intel Core i7-3940XM is unlocked. The processor can be freely overclocked on some motherboards to achieve better performance.
- The Intel Core i7-3940XM is 45% more energy efficient.
A8-3850 vs i7-3940XM specifications comparison
The graphs below compare the most important Intel i7-3940XM and AMD A8-3850 characteristics. These features, as well as an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a microprocessor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph corresponds to the number of additional threads, offered by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, while lighter area is for extra frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
Current official price
Lower is better
- AMD A8-3850 - Intel Core i7-3940XM
Detailed side by side comparison of A8-3850 vs i7-3940XM specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|A8-3850|| ||Core i7-3940XM|
Supports more simultaneous threads,
Base frequency is higher,
Features SSE4.1 / SSE4.2 / AVX / F16C instructions,
Allows easy overclocking,
Needs less power
Cannot execute as many threads at once,
Base frequency is lower,
Lacks some instructions,
Significantly higher power consumption,
No products planned for the socket
Much more expensive
Similar processors utilize the same core and fit the same socket as A8-3850 and Intel i7-3940XM.
Please visit AMD A8-3850 and Intel Core i7-3940XM pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||AMD A8-3850||Intel Core i7-3940XM|
|Family||A8-Series||Core i7 Mobile Extreme Edition|
|CPU part number||AD3850WNZ43GX||AW8063801103501|
|Box part number||AD3850WNGXBOX|| |
|Introduction date||July 3, 2011||September 30, 2012|
|Current official price||$87 (as of Jun 2013)||$1096 (as of Jun 2013)|
|Core name||Llano||Ivy Bridge|
|Platform name||Lynx|| |
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket FM1||Socket G2|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)|| ||3900 / 3800 / 3700 / 3700|
|Clock Multiplier|| ||30|
|L1 cache||256 KB (code) / 256 KB (data)||128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||4096||1024|
|L3 cache (KB)|| ||8192|
|Max temperature (°C)||72.7||105|
|Core voltage (V)||0.45 - 1.4125|| |
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||-||+|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||-||+|
|F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion||-||+|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||-||+|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||-||+|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||Radeon HD 6550D||HD 4000|
|Base frequency (MHz)||600||650|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1|
|Supported memory||DDR3-1866||DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "AMD A8-3850" or "Intel Core i7-3940XM" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare AMD A8-3850 with...
Compare Intel Core i7-3940XM with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB
Please post all comments on the AMD A8-3850 or Intel Core i7-3940XM pages