AMD A8-5600K vs Intel Core i7-965
AMD A8-5600K advantages
- This CPU offers higher operating frequency than the i7-965.
- The A8-5600K processor has Advanced Encryption Standard technology enabled. These instructions accelerate AES encryption and decryption, and are beneficial if you run applications, that secure your disk or network data.
- The A8-5600K microprocessor features AVX, F16C, FMA3 and XOP instructions. These extensions are not broadly used by programs yet, but their support should improve in future apps.
- The A8-5600K CPU has FMA4 instruction set extension enabled. Only AMD CPUs offer this technology, therefore not many software vendors may support it in the future.
- The AMD A8-5600K features on-chip Radeon HD 7560D GPU. This graphics unit can be used for casual gaming and 3D applications.
- Power consumption of the AMD A8-5600K is lower.
- The Socket FM2, used by the processor, is still actively supported by AMD. The company has plans to launch new products for the socket in the future.
Intel Core i7-965 advantages
- The microprocessor incorporates Hyper-Threading feature, which allows each CPU core to process two threads at once.
A8-5600K vs i7-965 specifications comparison
The charts below show the difference between i7-965 and A8-5600K most important characteristics. These features, as well as an IPC (instructions per cycle) number, determine how well a microprocessor performs. The "Number of cores / threads" graph shows the number of cores (darker area). Lighter area on the graph represents the number of extra threads, provided by Hyper-Threading technology. The "Operating frequency" chart uses dark color to represent base frequency, whereas lighter area is for additional frequency, provided by Turbo feature. Darker area on the "On-chip cache" graph is for the On-chip L2 cache. Lighter area is for the L3 cache cache. Although the L3 cache cache is usually larger than the On-chip L2 cache, it is always slower.
The number of cores / threads
Higher is better
Higher is better
On-chip L2 + L3 cache
Higher is better
Thermal Design Power
Lower is better
- AMD A8-5600K - Intel Core i7-965
Detailed side by side comparison of A8-5600K vs i7-965 specs can be found in the "Specifications" tab.
Pros and Cons summary
|A8-5600K|| ||Core i7-965|
Supports AVX / F16C / FMA3 / XOP instructions,
Includes Radeon HD 7560D GPU,
Needs less power,
Handles more simultaneous threads
Executes fewer threads
Runs at lower frequency,
Does not support some instructions,
Does not have integrated graphics,
Somewhat higher power consumption,
No products planned for the socket
Similar microprocessors use the same socket and architecture as AMD A8-5600K and i7-965, however their performance and other characteristics are a bit different.
Please visit AMD A8-5600K and Intel Core i7-965 pages for more complete specifications of both microprocessors.
| ||AMD A8-5600K||Intel Core i7-965|
|Family||A8-Series||Core i7 Extreme Edition|
|CPU part number||AD560KWOA44HJ||AT80601000918AA|
|Box part number||AD560KWOHJBOX||BX80601965|
|Introduction date||October 2, 2012||November 17, 2008|
|Current official price||$91 (as of Oct 2013)|| |
|Data width (bits)||64|
|Socket||Socket FM2||Socket 1366|
|Turbo Frequency (MHz)||3900||3467 / 3333 / 3333 / 3333|
|Bus speed (MHz)|| ||3200 (HT/QPI)|
|Clock Multiplier|| ||24|
|L1 cache||128 KB (code) / 64 KB (data)||128 KB (code) / 128 KB (data)|
|L2 cache (KB)||4096||1024|
|L3 cache (KB)|| ||8192|
|Max temperature (°C)||74||67.9|
|Max power dissipation (Watt)|| ||230.14|
|Core voltage (V)||0.825 - 1.475||0.8 - 1.375|
|Instruction set extensions|
|AES / Advanced Encryption Standard||+||-|
|AMD64 / EM64T 64-bit technology||+|
|AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions||+||-|
|BMI1 / Bit Manipulation||+||-|
|F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion||+||-|
|FMA3 / 3-operand Fused Multiply-Add||+||-|
|FMA4 / 4-operand Fused Multiply-Add||+||-|
|SSSE3 / Supplemental SSE3||+|
|XOP / eXtended Operations||+||-|
|PowerNow! / Enhanced SpeedStep||+|
|Turbo Core / Turbo Boost||+|
|Virus Protection / Execute Disable bit||+|
|GPU Type||Radeon HD 7560D||None|
|Integrated Memory Controller(s)|
|The number of controllers||1|
|Supported memory||DDR3-1866||DDR3-800, DDR3-1066|
Rows with different specifications or features are highlighted.
For detailed specifications of "AMD A8-5600K" or "Intel Core i7-965" parts please click on the links in the table header.
Compare AMD A8-5600K with...
Compare Intel Core i7-965 with...
Note: To see differences with any CPU, type in
any combination of the following into the "Any CPU" field: manufacturer name,
full or partial family name, model number, part number, core name,
socket name, operating frequency, bus speed (must have FSB suffix),
and the last level cache. Here are some valid searches:
Intel Celeron 2 GHz
Pentium 4 800FSB
AMD 3.3GHz 8MB