Is your browser set up to handle Flash websites?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CPU-World.com forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPUShack

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash enabled IE here

though I like the idea of killing flash for eBay

Visit The CPU Shack of microprocessor history and information.
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mtx500

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is your browser set up to handle Flash websites? Reply with quote

sammyc wrote:
Does everyone here have flash installed on their browser?

No, I never installed it, and I never will. If a web site does not work without it, I won't visit it again.
At least in the past, these browser plugins had more security holes than swiss cheese.
What's wrong with HTML (and possibly CSS, and maybe a little bit of JavaScript)?
fRaSsL

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.
jd

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always install Macromedia flash player on my custom PC's! Alot of my clients do online banking and such very important things that some require a flash player to view their site correctly. I really don't see the BIG DOPE about not having it Confused ..It's not a Virus or a Spyware ? !!!
Anyways, It's installed here on my end, and will always be, no reason not to...+ its free Rolling Eyes

JD Cool
chipcollector

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is your browser set up to handle Flash websites? Reply with quote

mtx500 wrote:
sammyc wrote:
Does everyone here have flash installed on their browser?

No, I never installed it, and I never will. If a web site does not work without it, I won't visit it again.
At least in the past, these browser plugins had more security holes than swiss cheese.
What's wrong with HTML (and possibly CSS, and maybe a little bit of JavaScript)?

I am not aware of any security holes in flash. The only thing I know of that might possibly cause any kind of security hole in flash is the improper use of an action script within a flash file. Please find me some proof of this and I'll rest my case Wink

OR

Vintage Chip Database, www.RareCPUs.com/database
--
chipcollector

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is your browser set up to handle Flash websites? Reply with quote

chiptalk wrote:

There are no known current security flaws in the latest version that I know of, but there was a nice one about about a month ago. All software has security flaws. Also, if someone thinks they are safe using one browser over another, that is a false sense of security. I recently saw a Macintosh TV commercial bragging how Macs won’t get nasty PC viruses, inferring Macs cannot get viruses or malware. Its giving consumers a false sense of security. Oh well, marketing...
Rolling Eyes

HEY man not true Wink Macs ARE safer Smile If a virus get's through a Mac, that's the fault of the user. Before any programs or any applications launch/initiate, the user is prompted (Continue to launch blah blah blah). Also it being coded through Unix makes it a much "cleaner" OS to use. On Windows, anything installs at anytime without your consent; anything goes on internet explorer. It's not like that with MACs. Smile

OR

--
CPUShack

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are several mac viruses and LOTS of mac security hoiles (Apple is like MS was 3 years ago, in denial)

They need to plug holes in monthly updates like MS, not waiting months (or in some cases years)

Especially being they are on an x86 platform now.

Visit The CPU Shack of microprocessor history and information.
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chipcollector

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this news update http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/16/macs.safer.than.windows/#comments

Apparently, 20% of MAC users reported a virus detected on their computers in the past 2 years, compardd to over 66% of Windows users.
It also states that while 55% of Windows users reported spyware on their PC, only a small amount, 8% of the MAC users reported the same.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac110905.html

Quote:
You'll find a lot of misinformation about this. "Experts" who are clueless about the way OS X is designed insist that the Mac operating system isn't actually any safer than Windows; it's just not targeted by the bad guys. According to this theory, the idiots who make viruses, spyware and zombies don't want to waste their time aiming them at Macs because there aren't enough Macs anyway.
This is nonsense. The last reliable estimate of the number of Mac OS X users worldwide, made more than two years ago, was 25 million. Since then, Mac OS X computer sales have risen steadily -- more than 60 percent in the last quarter over the same period a year before that. You don't need a Windows calculator to figure out that there are a lot of Mac OS X users out there.
And that means there would be a lot of targets for viruses, spyware and zombies -- if only Macs were designed the way Windows PCs are.
But they're not, and that's the reason they're safer.
Modern Macs are Unix computers. Unix is an operating system that predates Windows. Over the years, it's been greatly improved. It was designed with safety in mind. Windows was designed with different goals; Microsoft tried to add security later, without a lot of success.
With no viruses, spyware and zombies to worry about, Mac OS X users enjoy a freedom Windows users can only dream of. But something is out of place here. Symantec, the largest maker of antivirus software for Windows, sells an antivirus program for OS X Macintoshes.
If you buy the notion that your Mac needs protection against viruses that don't exist, you're missing the point. Symantec's antivirus software for OS X has only one function: Since it can't protect your Mac against specific OS X viruses, it wards off Windows viruses instead.

The above quote brings up a very important point... since many tell us that an extremely small amount of OS X viruses(If not any at all) actually exist, the only virus's they have to worry about are ones that come from Windows comptuers. Even MAC software is designed more to block out Windows based viruses more than their own OS virus.

Now let's even say that you don't agree with what I put above; how often do you remember hearing about MAC virus warnings, as compared to Windows viruses? No long explanation needed, just a simple yes or no answer. Smile

OR

--
Hippo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about this though..

What is the ratio of Mac users to Windows users? I reckon there are hundreds of millions of people more using a Windows system.

Because there are more of them about they are easier to attack, plus most attacks/viruses are created by script kiddies using windows. They attack Windows boxes cos thats what they know.

Add that with the fact that most of the Mac community are fairly clued up about the Mac system. More than can be said for your average windows user.

I dont doubt for one minute that Mac OS is more secure, there's just a little more going on than just that.
Mixeur

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it is more secure to have a mac os, but in fact it is not sure that it is more secure than Windows.
Hundreds of f...g hackers spyware makers, ...etc. just don't care about mac os...

chipcollector

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say that MACs aren't targetted like windows because of their small amount of users. I think that's rediculous, as the guy stated above (in the quote) there are 25 million mac users in North America. Even though it may be small compared to the number of windows users, 25 million is a LARGE number. The fact is it's harder to infect a MAC computer than a windows based system, regardless if they're using x86 based processors, it's still the same OS and the CPU architecture almost has nothing to do with security problems on the PC.

OR

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CPU-World.com forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: