Sempron 145 0r Atom D525?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CPU-World.com forums Forum Index -> Modern CPUs - upgrades, overclocking and troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJ21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Sempron 145 0r Atom D525? Reply with quote

Hi! I have a damaged bundled Atom D425 in a generic motherboard in a small flex casing. I'm planning to ugrade it with Intel based motherboard with Atom D525 1.8Ghz dual core processor embedded on it with 2Gb of DDR3 1333 memory. My other option would be an AMD Sempron 145 2.8Ghz Single Core processor to be paired with Biostar A780L3B motherboard with 2Gb of DDR3 1333 memory. The difference in overall cost is quite small, but I can't figure out what platform is the best in terms of performance. This unit is for home use only and I'm just doing some basic tasks on it (music, video & movie downloads, web-surfing). I can't go above 45W TDP processor because my power supply is so small. What's the best deal, Intel or AMD? Any recommendation shall be appreciated. Thanks!
debs3759

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering overclocking as well, the Sempron 145 will give an average of about 4 GHz with air cooling, based on results submitted to hwbot.org

Also, if you go for the Sempron, you have the option of upgrading just the CPU at a later date if you ever want to, whereas the Atom is in a BGA package so can't be upgraded.

I don't know so much about the Atom processors so can't comment on pros and cons for that.

Debs
gshv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sempron 145 should be much faster in single threaded applications, and probably faster or comparable in dual-threaded apps. As Debs said, you can upgrade Sempron to 45 Watt Athlon II X2/X3/X4 later on. It's difficult to tell about graphics performance. Atom board probably uses Atom's integrated graphics, and Biostar board has HD 3000 graphics. I haven't seen any benchmarks comparing those GPUs.

Gennadiy
drswizz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to own a system with a Sempron 145 and I own a mini ITX board with a dual core Atom CPU.
The Atom CPUs are horribly slow, even with dual cores and HT. The Sempron is a much better choice for you.
sunilx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a motherboard with at least SB710 Southbridge you may be able to unlock the Sempron to Dual Core. I purchased one from an online retailer and it is now unlocked to be an Athlon II X2 4450e (as reported by CPU_Z)
freduce

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: unlock problem Reply with quote

hi
i tried to unlock my sempron 145.
on the ASRock motherboard i disabled UCC. after that the system reboots, shows POST (processor type says "amd athlon x2 something") and shows the Windows 7 starting screen text "Starting Windows".
but before the red/green/blue/yellow animation starts, the system reboots again.
after 2 or 3 attempts i get the BSOD.
so is my second core really faulty/unstable? i thought the system shouldnt even POST then...
i feel like im really close to having a dual core AMD, but could use some help to make it work.
anyone recognizes this and has a solution?
if not, its a pity, but ill still have the singlecore Smile
gshv

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some processors with unlocked cores don't post at all. Other processors will post, run any programs in DOS (it's single threaded), but won't load Windows. Try to increase core voltage. If you have additional UCC/ACC options in BIOS, that allow you to change some percentage value for all , or individual cores, then try to play with them.

Gennadiy
freduce

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: sempron unlock Reply with quote

thanks
when UCC is enabled i can also enable core management (or something), but only for one core.
now sometimes the system starts normally, with UCC enabled. thus using the 2 cores. but its not stable.
i could get GTA IV to work and play (lots of lag though), there was no real problem.
but sometimes the system just wont start, or unexpectedly shuts down.

i tried fiddling with the clock speed (under and overclocking), core voltage and RAM speeds. but cant get a stable set-up.

so i disabled UCC again, and overclocked the single core to 3,5Ghz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CPU-World.com forums Forum Index -> Modern CPUs - upgrades, overclocking and troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum